I will be saying that by mid next week.
It would be sooner but we are spending the weekend with my mom so the “house gutting” will have to be put on hold. Even mom is in on the cleaning. She spent this morning going through 20 Rubbermaid tubs in her barn to find two tubs full of stuff worth saving, 18 tubs of stuff to GO, and 1 very special treasure… She stumbled upon a hand print, made by her father in 1997 (he passed Spring of 2006), that read “just in case you need a hand”. That beautiful “funny” made for mom was stuffed in a stack of paperwork, all worthy of the trash can EXCEPT “Paw Paw’s Helping Hand”. My laundry room is practically empty! My bookshelves have space now! I actually got up this morning to find a clean living room and kitchen AND laundry room AND HALLWAY! OMGoodness!
Who knew that the needless stuff that just sitting there actually helps to make the mess!
Before bed last night, I put the rest of my laundry away, and the girls laundry, rather than making a pile on the floor for tomorrows to do list. This is so liberating!!
I’M ALMOST FREE! Come the 23rd of September all my junk will be free too! We’re having a yard sale on the 22nd, by Sunday the 23rd the sign is changing from “Make me an offer” to “FREE”….
Once this is done some new rules need to come into place… and this will be tough b/c we are a sharing family that is always passing tubs of stuff back and forth to whoever things they can use it.
THE NEW HOUSE RULES:
1. If you bring something in, be prepared to take something out and be prepared to IMMEDIATELY find the new thing a home.
2. If it’s on the floor pick it up.
3. If there is a pile of clean laundry on the bed put it away!
4. If you cannot immediately think of some way that you NEED something being passed around the family then TURN IT DOWN! Just because your offered a tub of something doesn’t mean you have to take the whole tub…
5. If you buy a new pack of socks, then I want to see socks go into the goodwill bag…
6. If clothes have holes..they are GONE
7. If towels have clothes….they are GONE
8. If you don’t play with it…it’s GONE
9. Take your shoes off at the door..
10. IF YOU DON’T WANT TO BE TREATED LIKE A PIG THEN DON’T ACT LIKE ONE!
GO MOM! GO MOM! SNAP THAT WHIP!!
Maybe now I can actually get the whole house picked up in 15 minutes and I can actually do the occasional wild thing like wash curtains, or clean windows, or hmmmm…. MOP A FLOOR!
Wish me luck! I’ll let you know how things look when I’m done!