Math, engineering, home ec and Motrin.

And coffee. Lots of coffee.
****************************************
Today I thought I’d be a “cool mom” and turn this toddler tent craft into our schoolwork for the day.
It seemed simple enough. Take a set of old sheets, make some rectangles, sew them together, and drape over a card table.
There would be measuring, math, home economics, engineering, design, graphic, learning to scale, and…
Motrin. Lots and lots of Motrin. And Coffee. Let us NOT forget the coffee.
image
Taderbug got to use my new machine since it has the ability to step along really really slowly.
image
Doodlebug was all work on my old machine. She impressed me today! She paid attention to measurements, did the math, and spent 20 minutes rethreading the machine when it jammed.
We also learned that hand me down measuring tapes that are SO old that they aren’t even plastic tend to shrink over time and will ruin your measurements by a lot. We’re talking 1/2 ” here! I hated to toss it but I didn’t want to accidently use it.

image
Even Lil Man got in on the action! It’s not child labor if it’s educational right?
image
Well, here’s our tent. Two doors, two windows and tons of fun. The girls put a couple books on the table to the top would stick up like a princess castle. I’m pretty sure there is a camp out planned for tonight.
Hubby thinks I should make them (without the child labor) and sell them. I think that means he likes it. I like it when he likes my stuff.

Blogging from my Android….probably from the bathroom.

10 thoughts on “Math, engineering, home ec and Motrin.

1. Hazel Nut says:

That is the coolest homeschool project! Where did you find that? This post has me longing for a sewing machine. What do you recommend? My old machine was an old Dress Maker cabinet machine and I miss it dearly.
    Great job, all of you!

2. TaderDoodles says:

Hey darlin!
    If you click on “toddler tent craft” in the first sentence it takes you to the blog I found it on.
    The machine Doodlebug was using was my 14 year old Kenmore that D got me from Sears shortly after we were married.
    The other is my Singer Futura 150ce he bought me last Mother’s Day so I could do embroidery.
    I love Singer, I also have one of their 4 thread sergers. I had a friend who purchased a Brother from Walmart and she is enjoying that one.
    There is also a sewing machine shop in town that might sell refurbs for a good price.
    With just a few basic stitch options you can make so many fun things!
    We’re going to use sheets and pillowcases soon to make grocery bags 🙂

• Hazel Nut says:

I didn’t know there was a sewing machine shop around here! Thanks for all the ideas, I have been looking at that Brother machine at Walmart for months.

3. AprilS says:

This takes me back to when I was a kid and would make a clubhouse out of a sheet and my piano. Later we would make giant tents in the living room with sheets and whatever furniture we could use to hold it up. There is something so magic and fun about a tent and camping in your house. 🙂
    Great project and I bet the kids are really enjoying it!

4. Jenn says:

you are such a cool mom-can you come over and build me a tent too? Oh, and maybe teach me to sew while you’re at it 🙂

5. TaderDoodles says:

April- you are correct… there is nothing more fun than making tents inside!
    Jenn – Not the cool mom 🙂 just had a “trying to be cool” moment. It almost failed.

6. Trisha Howard says:

Love it. Crack me up and knew this was pretty much me in the near future, sewing machine, motrin, coffee, and often a sense of what in the world made me think I should do this?

Comments are closed.