1. You finally get a hot shower and realize that your entire family smells like a campfire.
2. You have sunburn stripes down the side of your thigh, because the toddler fell asleep on your lap while you sat at the water’s edge making sand castles and she blocked the sun from the rest of your leg.
3. When asking your kids what they want for dinner they respond “anything but hot dogs”.
4. You have a renewed appreciation for coffee without coffee grounds floating in the cup.
5. You unpack your Kindle and realize you didn’t read one word of anything that wasn’t printed on a sign.
6. Everything you read in the past week included a bear warning.
7. The answer to “Mom, where is…” is “in one of the tubs”.
8. The toddler believes marsh mellows are a food group.
9. There is more sand in my house than in the neighbors sandbox.
10. Everything your family consumed for the past five days came from a can, bag or snack pack cup. Need veggies stat.
It was a great vacation. Even with the bugs and the sunburn and the fish. I walked to the potty in the dark alone at 2 am with nothing but a lantern. That is HUGE since I’m terrified of the woods at night. I even started getting the lake a few times. Another HUGE step since I’m afraid of the fish. No, I don’t think they will bite me, I just don’t want them touching me…at all.
I apologized 1000 times for my totally unsocialized *giggle* homeschooled kids who insisted on saying hello to everyone and asking them how they were doing and where they were from and did they want to ride bikes with us or walk with us or come join our campfire for marsh mellows.
I took a little too much enjoyment out of getting my girls to do work by telling them that it was “what a Girl Scout would do”. We fell asleep by counting how many times the whippoorwill called and woke up to the sounds of Doodlebug announcing that the sun was finally up.
The big girls learned to snorkel. Bubbagirl learned to use the brakes on her big girl bike and we learned that Lil Man isn’t afraid to go underwater.
We are tired and dirty and itchy and tanned.
We are also very glad we came home a day early and were safe inside when the bad, bad storm came through.